I would have said that I didn't start sewing until recently when I decided that I could make the AG's dolls (Ida Bean and Sari) cheaper. However, when sorting through some things this month I ran across a very ugly doll I had sewn as a little kid. The face is done with puff paint and the hair is only along the top, with yarn. So I guess I was sewing before I thought I was!

My mom has been a seamstress since I can remember, and my clothes up until teenage years were mostly homemade by her, donated to me, or from my brother (imagine getting lots of boys' socks and jerseys to wear! [img]wink.gif[/img] ). Anyway, I was raised with her sewing and knowing how to sew, making me dolls and doll clothes. It was wonderful! She told me that the last doll her mother ever gave her was a large doll, and she said, "This is your last doll. You are getting her so you can learn how to sew." I thought that was interesting, because in the past girls would have had dolls to learn mothering and household skills, including sewing. I guess we don't do that any more these days, but it might show a link that goes back generations, between owning dolls and sewing.

Those emboidery machines are so cool! I've never had one, but I saw one in operation at a sewing store and was stunned! Then I also saw the cartridge costs and was even more stunned. [img]eek.gif[/img] I could never have one, but they must be really great. If I had one I'm afraid every piece of clothing would have a little something embroidered on it! [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ May 07, 2004 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>